Future Corpses of America

"I don't want future generations to look back and be like, 'what a bunch of assholes.'" -Benjamin Praster

5/16/2006

I eVoted

I walked into the elementary school to cast a few votes in today's primary election. Nobody in the room even tried to hide the grey in their hair. Today was an experiment because they introduced electronic voting.

Those of us on the voting end probably had little problem using the touch screens. The system is far less complicated than the switches of yesteryear. The biggest problem is that the booths provide little to no privacy. I thought that few people would have problems but at least one older lady had quite a few. There were signs posted that said "please take no more than 3 minutes in the booth." One of the poll operators said she had been in there for "quite some time," which in old people speak translates to much longer than 3 minutes.

Most people seemed to make it through ok. What might cause problems are the poll operators. You go to the desk, sign the registration and then they give you a card with a chip on it. It contains your party affiliation and some other information and you insert it into the voting machine. The machine that takes the input for party affiliation flashed a lot of red lights for the person before me. Only one of the operators knew what that meant...

I don't know what kind of voting machines they were... I just know they weren't Diabold, which is a good thing.

I didn't actually vote for much. I didn't vote for Governor, Lt Governor, US Congress, or US Senate. I would rather vote no confidence for Santorum, Platts, Swan and whoever is running for Lt. Gov. than vote for the only people running. I also didn't vote for state council because I had no idea who any of the people running were. So while I did get my "I Voted" sticker (added to my computer) I didn't really do much voting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home