Future Corpses of America

"I don't want future generations to look back and be like, 'what a bunch of assholes.'" -Benjamin Praster

5/15/2006

Tomorrow is the Primary

At least in my district.

I'm going to go out and vote... since I don't really have much to do with my time.

I think I'm still a registered Republican, which means I actually get to make a choice for my state senator. The old state senator, Bruce Smith, is retiring after 25 years so we're picking who gets to serve for the next 25 years.

My district is heavily republican. A Democrat is running, but honestly, he's just as bad a choice as the Republicans. Most are running on how opposed they were to the pay raises because Smith actually voted for it... as if it's a real issue.

I like Jay McKiernan's idea about forced 8 year term limits for the state house and senate, but he doesn't have any position on policy save for the general reduction of state government. He probably won't get very far in either pursuit so he's mostly an unknown.

Carl Meiss wants a law that requires everyone in PA to have health care. I'm not sure if that means he wants the state to be required to provide it or if he wants to arrest people who don't have it. He also wants to cut property taxes and raise sales taxes which are worse for the poor.

Mike Wilson wants to cut property taxes and tax incomes for education, which doesn't solve the problem of education disparity. He does say he would like to increase the state contribution to public education that would come from increased sales tax and taxes on gambling.

Scott Perry is a Penn State grad, but that doesn't help him with me. He wants to give districts control over their taxes, including how to tax their inhabitants. He says Philadelphia gets too much infrastructure money and he thinks the citizens should decide when the legislature should get a raise. In 2003 he was convicted of doctoring Department of Environmental Protection discharge monitoring reports... so his chances aren't too great anyway.

The lone Democrat is Laurence Ellsperman. He was upset with the pay raise and that's why he is running. He agrees with McKiernan that there should be an 8 year term limit. But he wants to cut property taxes and raise the sales tax a half a percent. But he wants more standardized testing and to throw money at a monument for veterans of Iraq. He also thinks PA takes too much trash from other states, which is an odd thing to be against.

McKiernan will probably get my vote. He isn't the least bad, but he won't stick around for long, giving someone else a chance in 8 years rather than 25.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:50 AM, October 26, 2009, Blogger Bruce Williams said…

    You know the candidates names and everything? Wow! Are you sure you are a voter and not some kind of pundit? Oh, I get it! This is a blog and you are a blogger! Ok, I guess it's all right to know stuff as long as you are not just a voter...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home